Maybe you’ve realized that as you’ve gotten older, your hair has changed along with the rest of your body. Your scalp gets drier with age, and you may find that your hair is totally different from the way it was 20 years ago.
Hair can do a lot to make someone look older or younger. Healthy, shiny hair will make you look much younger than your actual age. On the other hand, thinning, gray hair will just add years to your age.
Luckily there are ways to keep your hair looking as fresh as ever. We talked to our stylists for the best ways to shave years off your age (without a scalpel), just by workin’ it with your hair.
1. Prevent hair loss: Thin hair is one of the quickest age giveaways. It’s a sign of older, weakened hair – and who wants their hair to say that? After passing the 30-year milestone, it’s natural for most women to notice their hair thinning out as nature ages them. But the good news is that you can make hair loss or thinning as minimal as possible.
First of all, make sure you’re eating a well-balanced diet with lots of protein, iron, vitamin E and D – they promote healthy hair growth. Second, cut back on chemical relaxers, perms, and tight styles that pull on the hair (like ponytails, rollers, or braids). These are going to damage the roots, which will discourage them from growing new hair. Finally, give your hair a little something special by using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner regularly. The added moisture will keep your hair looking healthy and strong (plus you’ll get some extra shine!).
2. Get the right cut: A flattering hair cut can do miracles to take years off your face. One easy way to do this is getting face-framing layers. The layers will open up your face, plus they give thin hair body and definition. Just make sure they’re cut in a proportionate length around your face and flatter your face shape, or else they could work against you. Side-swept bangs also tend to flatter most face shapes.
While we’re on the subject of haircuts, it’s a good idea to mention what not to get. Stay away from blunt or angular cuts – they tend to be harsh on mature faces. You should also avoid putting lots of product and styling into your hair (it ages your look rather than making it more youthful). Instead, go for a natural, soft style – it’s much more flattering.
3. Keep a rich color: Gray hair is another flag that instantly announces your age. Luckily, you can appear much younger not only by covering up the gray strands, but also by maintaining a contrast between your skin tone and your hair color. As you get older, your hair tends to wash out your face as it loses color. Unsurprisingly, a washed-out face will look significantly older than a defined face. Don’t let this happen to you – just boost up your hair color to give your face contrast and definition.
Here at eSalon, we make it our mission to give your hair the richest, most vibrant color possible. It helps that our dye is just as concentrated as the dyes at fancy salons, plus it contains tons of conditioning nutrients that leave your hair healthier than before. And even better – the color is made just for you, and no one else. One of our expert colorists will review your order and formulate a pigment tailored to your individual hair. When we say “custom hair color,” we really mean it!
Here are some color options for kicking up the color contrast:
- If your hair has gotten too blonde or gray, bring the color down a shade with a deeper, caramel color.
- To give your darker shade a kick, take it down one more tone to add some emphasis on your face (but don’t go too dark).
- For red hair, which naturally fades to brown or blonde with age, you can add a soft red tone, such as strawberry blonde, to give it more color.
- Don’t forget to choose a permanent color instead of demi-permanent – it’ll give you a richer, more vibrant color and cover the grays much better.
The best new way to color your hair
A new hair care company called eSalon.com is infuriating hairstylists across the country.
eSalon says they are fast becoming a target for outraged stylists: “Hairstylists have written us angry letters saying, ‘How could you do this? We’re losing clients because of you!’”
Maybe it’s because eSalon provides that same salon service, but at home. They offer clients the full treatment: affordable hair color for home use, with the personal guidance of a professional colorist, and it doesn’t cost you a fortune.
eSalon is nothing like the one-size-fits-all boxed hair color you get at a drugstore. Instead, they provide custom blended hair color like you’d get in a salon. They use salon-grade ingredients that leave hair soft, shiny and provide excellent gray coverage. The personalized pigment even has your name on the bottle, because it’s made for you and no one else.
And for a total hassle-free experience, each hair color order is delivered right to your door for under $20. That’s a far cry from the $100-plus you would pay at a salon!
Just ask eSalon’s colorists how jealous some can get: “It’s so bad, we’re sometimes reluctant to tell other colorists what we do. But mostly we’re proud of the service we provide for busy, professional women.”
Customized color truly makes a difference. eSalon already has a handful of high-profile mentions under their belt. InStyle Magazine named it “Best of the Web,” and the company has gotten kudos from Lucky Magazine and Good Housekeeping.
Right now, eSalon has a special offer for new customers: Get your first custom color kit for only $9.95* (a 50% savings!), with a full money-back guarantee including shipping (what other company does that?). Go here to give it a try: www.eSalon.com