Your skin and hair are your greeting card to the world – so why wouldn’t you want to give them the best treatment?
Here are 5 steps that will help keep your skin and hair healthy, beautiful – and ready to put your best face forward!
1. Use a product that’s right for you
Skin and hair can come in a variety of types and may have different needs. It’s important to use products designed just for your type for the best (and beautiful) results.
If your skin is:
- Normal or combination: wash with a gentle cleanser and rinse with warm water.
- Dry: use a gentle alcohol- and fragrance-free cleanser, and exfoliate once a week.
- Sensitive: use a gentle cleanser and be careful not to over-exfoliate or use harsh ingredients.
- Oily: use an oil-free cleanser and a toner or astringent after washing.
- Teenage skin: during teen years, the body produces more sebum (oil) in your pores. Too much sebum can clog up the pores, which traps bacteria and can cause acne. But your teen can make a stand by using a product designed to treat acne, such as a lotion, cream, gel, or cleansing pads.
If your hair is:
- Normal: use a gentle shampoo that doesn’t contain harsh ingredients that strip out natural oils.
- Dry: use a moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner (or leave-in conditioner) for hydration.
- Oily: use a regular shampoo, but go easy on the conditioner and don’t apply it to your roots.
- Color-treated: use color-safe shampoo and conditioner to prevent color from fading.
- For dandruff: use a medicated shampoo treatment. Oil or other products may irritate your scalp and produce more dandruff.
2. Restore Moisture
Hydration is important for keeping your skin and hair healthy and soft. Find a moisturizer that will work for your skin type to keep it well-moisturized. Make sure to use it every day, applying while the skin is still damp from washing. This will lock in the moisture and maintain a soft, smooth surface.
The same goes for your hair. It’s important to condition your hair every time you shower to seal in the moisture and keep the cuticle smooth. For the best results, use a conditioner specific for your hair type. If you have color-treated hair, find a conditioner that’s designed to gently add moisture without stripping out any color. Conditioner is extra important for color-treated hair, since dry, damaged hair tends to fade faster.
3. Block the Sun
The harsh rays from the sun can damage both your skin and your hair. Make a strong defense by blocking them with the right products.
Apply sunscreen to your skin every day to prevent the sun’s UVA and UVB rays from damaging your skin. Use a light hair spray that contains UV protection and spray it over your hair. You can also wear a hat to block out all the sun’s rays. This is important because the sun’s rays can dry out your hair, damage the cuticle, and eventually fade the color.
4. Prevent Damage
When caring for your skin and hair, make sure to use products that won’t cause any damage. It’s best to use makeup and skincare products that are “noncomedogenic” – this means they are less likely to clog your pores or cause acne for your teen. You should also look for water-based makeup instead of oil-based makeup, which will also clog pores.
When it comes to your hair, try to use products that are best for your hair type. For example, if you have especially dry or frizzy hair, stay away from hair products that contain alcohol, since it dries out your hair more. If you’ve colored your hair, don’t use harsh products that will dry out your hair, which makes the color fade faster. Instead, use gentle, color-safe products.
5. Eat Right
Eating the right foods can promote healthy skin and hair growth. Vegetables (especially leafy greens), fruits, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, and lean proteins (such as chicken, fish, beans, or eggs) are generally great sources of the nutrients that benefit both your skin and hair. And certain nutrient deficiencies (such as in zinc, biotin, and protein) can lead to brittle hair or hair loss, so make sure to eat healthy!
Beautiful skin and hair isn’t impossible. The secret is in healthy habits that can do wonders for your overall look. Just follow these 5 tips and you’ll be amazed at the changes you see!
The eSalon Team
P.S. Do you have any tried-and-true tricks for beautiful skin and hair? Let us know in the comments!